USTA School Tennis
Fun, safe, easy, no courts required!
USTA School Tennis provides in-school and extracurricular programming (Kids Tennis clubs – see below) for students in grades K-12. The primary goals of the program are a positive first-time experience, perceived competence, fun and fitness. Another important element is to help schools meet their health and wellness requirements. The program offers training, curriculum materials, access to major discounts on kid-friendly equipment and staff support.
High School Coach Practice Tools
The USTA Southern High School Subcommittee has compiled the High School Coach Practice Template, a comprehensive, 19-page .pdf document designed to help coaches run great practices.
The practice template lists a variety of drills, with in-depth explanations. A one-page diagram shows specific drills along with spots on the court for extra activities, ball hoppers, etc. Lastly, the document contains four pages of FAQs, dealing with a variety of on- and off-court situations.
Special thanks go to subcommittee members Bernie McGuire and Debbie Southern for their time and dedication to this important document.
• Free three-hour teacher workshops designed to show physical educators and extracurricular program leaders how to conduct a quality tennis unit and activities for a Kids Tennis Club.
• The workshop also includes class management techniques, basic tennis skills, station activities, supervised play formats and Tennis Skillastics activities.
• Workshop attendees will receive a certificate of attendance and a participant guide.
• The School/After school tennis workshop often meets school district requirements for continuing education credits.
• The USTA School Tennis curriculum kit was designed in collaboration with Dr. Robert Pangrazi.
• The curriculum kit includes eight lesson plans based on NASPE standards, as well as, an instructional DVD and a CD with station signs and a teacher’s handbook.
• The lesson plans and activities were created for teaching tennis without tennis courts.
• P.E. teachers and Kids Tennis Club leaders who register their program on the free USTA School Tennis Registry will receive a Kids Tennis Club playbook, customizable flyers and posters and a gift. To access the School Tennis Registry, click here
• Schools that join USTA as an organizational member (only $35 per year) receive the School Tennis curriculum kit, laminated station signs and discounts on tennis equipment and Tennis Skillastics. To sign up your school, click here
and select "Schools".
• For details about the levels of support that USTA offers to schools, click here
Kids' Tennis Clubs
• Provides play and learning opportunities for tennis beyond the P.E. class.
• Allows students to develop a love of the game that will last a lifetime.
• The play area can be a gym, blacktop or multi-purpose room.
• Kids Tennis Clubs can be located at a school, park and recreation center or tennis facility.
• To order merchandise for your Kids' Tennis Club, click here
High school and middle school No-cut Tennis teams
• Allows students of all abilities to be a member of a team representing their school.
• Creates well-rounded student athletes, develops leadership and teaches responsibility.
• A positive experience on a no-cut team encourages students to participate in tennis beyond high school.
• No-cut coaches are eligible for Sectional and National awards.
• For more information about all of the benefits of no-cut teams, click here
• If you are ready to sign up as a no-cut coach, click here
For more information about bringing USTA School Tennis to your school district, please contact the appropriate state coordinator listed below: