email_us_left_rail_box_85x40 staff_directory_left_rail_box_85x40
contact_us_left_rail_box_85x40 top_jr_tournaments_left_rail_box_85x40
join_jr_team_left_rail_box_85x40 join_adult_team_left_rail_box_85x40
ntrp_tournaments_left_rail_box_85x40 age_level_tournaments_left_rail_box_85x40
jr_tournaments_left_rail_box_85x40 jr_rankings_left_rail_box_85x40
find_jtt_left_rail_box_85x40 adult_rankings_left_rail_box_85x40
usta_league_left_rail_box_85x40 adult_tournaments_left_rail_box_85x40

Carolina Blouin Playing for the U.S. Suzanne Lenglen Cup

Team Breezes Over Latvia

Carolina Blouin

U.S.'s doubles team. Photo by Carolyn Nichols
The day started early for us today again. We met at the restaurant for breakfast at 7 a.m.
Sophie started the day with a typical French breakfast with croissants and hot chocolate. She was given the "hot choc" nickname. Patricia ate a full bowl of dry cereal and all sorts of nuts, so Mary called her the "nutty." ThenI ate some Turkish yogurt with cereal and had some hot milk with coffee and I was called the "cultured". (I have tried every typical Turkish dish possible in the past four days, and yes, I love cultured milk and yogurts.) Mary had lots of coffee with cream, some fruit and bread, so she was called the "patriotic."
There is another reason Mary has been called patriotic or Americana ... everything she wears has an American flag on it. Besides the warm-up, hat and shirts we got from the USTA, Mary also wears: American flag socks, bandana, watch, shoes, neckless, shorts, ski hat, sandals, jacket and she brings in her American flag coffee mug to meals!
By 8 a.m., we were at the other site, the Starlight hotel and resort, and started warming up on the same courts we played yesterday. It started drizzling but luckily it stopped before the courts got too wet. Carolyn Nichols came to say hello and took a few photos of us warming up. She also told us the hotel was not charging us for extra water, coffee or tea anymore. Good news!
By 9 a.m., Patricia started the first singles match of the day against Latvia. The Latvian girl had solid strokes but Patricia had no problems and won both sets 6-1, 6-1. Then Sophie started her No. 1 singles and had a tougher match but with as gutsy a performance as she had yesterday and won 6-2, 6-2.
As Mary and I were warming up for the doubles, the city siren went off and the noon prayer started. Every time it happens, it reminds me of the time I lived in Kansas City and we had a tornado drill. Mary and I then played the doubles and won 6-3, 6-3.
It was 1:45 p.m. by the time our matches were done and we all ran to the shuttle back to AliBey so we could reach the restaurant before 2 pm (before they closed). We were able to eat a good meal and had good conversations about lineups tomorrow and things that may happen during the rest of the week.
Mary and I decided to practice again at 4 p.m. On the way to the practice courts, we were able to watch and cheer for the Men's 40s team (Tony Trabert Cup). They were deciding their fate against Romania in the doubles and there were lots of people watching. It was an amazing match and our USA team won 6-4 in the third set of the deciding match!

Back to Carolina Blouin Playing for the U.S. Suzanne Lenglen Cup

Print Article Email Article Newsletter Signup Share