JUNIOR ENDORSEMENT INFORMATION
All juniors seeking endorsement to the USTA National Championships in 2011, should read this information very carefully. Discuss the contents with your parents and/or your coach to be sure you understand all these important procedures. Further information is available at www.southerntennis.com.
SCHEDULE PLANNING – PLANNING YOUR YEAR
USTA/SOUTHERN SECTION RULES & REGULATIONS
Now is a good time for you to become familiar with the USTA/Southern Section rules, regulations and requirements. You will find them at southerntennis.com.
USTA REGULATIONS & NATIONAL JUNIOR TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
A complete listing of national level tournaments can be found at www.usta.com. The requirements to obtain a USTA National ranking, may also be found at www.usta.com.
The standings is a system combining singles and doubles results. Your standing will be based on 100% of your singles totals (best 6 tournament results) and 15% of your doubles totals (best 6 tournament results). This listing will include results of the past 12 months as usual.
Endorsement List: Points are earned only in the age group played and are not applied, if eligible, to the lower age group. Bonus points are earned only in the age group played and are not applied, if eligible, to the lower age group. Bonus points are only awarded for defeating players in the age group of division being played. The best six tournaments in that age group apply.
1) Summer National Championships. Minimum requirements are one Bullfrog USTA Southern Section Designated tournament and the Southern Junior Closed in June, in the age group for which endorsement is sought.
2) Spring & Winter National Championships. Minimum requirements are a combination of two (2) Southern Championships and/or Bullfrog USTA Southern Section Designated tournaments in the age group for which endorsement is sought.
3) 12, 14, and 16 Zonals. Any player who has played in the Southern Closed in the applicable age group, and whose Southern standing is within the endorsed group. The endorsed group to be determined at 2011 USTA Annual Meeting.
National Championship Selection List
Players may also qualify through the National Championship Selection List (NCSL). This list will include up to 24 players for 192 draws and up to 16 players for 128 draws. Players within these lists will also include those players with qualifying ATP, WTA, & ITF rankings.
Southern players applying for participation in the National Zonals must apply through the online registration system. Please check web site after May 1st for further details at www.southerntennis.com.
USTA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY INFORMATION
Information for each tournament will be available at southerntennis.com and then click on TennisLink "For Tournaments" Go to the individual tournament’s posting to get complete information.
1. Registration for all USTA National Championships must be performed using the USTA on-line entry system (TennisLink) at www.southerntennis.com.
2. Be sure all contact information is posted correctly during the entry/selection process.
2012 USTA/Southern Section Quotas for USTA Nationals
Clay & Hard Courts for 14-18s 23
Spring & Winter for 14-18s 13
ALL Nationals for 12s 13
When you accept entry to one of the National or Zone Team tournaments, it is your responsibility to appear. If you decide to drop out before the entry deadline, please inform the USTA Southern office immediately so that another Southern player can be added to the in-quota list. If it is necessary for you to withdraw from a tournament after the entry deadline, please notify the tournament director and USTA Southern office immediately.
Alternates to the Nationals should follow the online instructions. It is conceivable that some alternates may be accepted at the last minute to fill spots resulting from last minute withdrawals. If you decide not to take the chance and wait, and move to enter another tournament, you must contact the tournament director and withdraw your name from the alternate list first, before entering the next tournament. Please be sure that the USTA Southern office knows where and how to reach you. The USTA Zonal alternates should follow the USTA Southern office instructions.
USTA NATIONAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS
The National Open Championships will use online registration ONLY. SECTIONAL ENDORSEMENT IS NOT REQUIRED. The top 2 singles finishers qualify into the next National Championship. The doubles finalists will be endorsed to compete in the Doubles of the next National Championship. Those doubles players may get on the on-site alternate list for singles. Four National Opens will be held simultaneously. Players may enter from one to four of the National Opens with their acceptance based on their position in the current USTA Seeding/Selection list.
There are a number of special events for juniors that involve selection of players by the USTA/Southern Section and/or your State Association. For details on entry, please check southerntennis.com after March 15th. These include the following:
USTA 16 Intersectional Team Championships—up to 4 boys & 4 girls
USTA National Boy’s Team Championship---up to 7 boys
USTA National Girl’s Team Championship---up to 7 girls
Bullfrog/Southern Junior Cup 14-18---by State selection
Bullfrog/Southern Junior Cup 12’s —by State selection
Player Developmental Camps – by State selection
World Team Tennis Junior Nationals – 3 Boys and 3 Girls (16 & 18’s)
SOUTHERN LEVEL 3 TOURNAMENTS
Selections are based on current standings and records. 1/8 of the draw will be from the top 80 (top 40 for a 32 draw) from the younger age group. This does not apply to any Southern Championships.
BULLFROG/USTA SOUTHERN SECTION DESIGNATED TOURNAMENTS
Draws will be limited to the top 64 players entering, based on current standings and records. 1/8 of the 64 will be from the top 80 from the younger age group. This does not apply to any of the Southern Championships. PLAN YOUR SCHEDULE EARLY!
SIGNING UP FOR MORE THAN ONE DIVISION IN A TOURNAMENT
Players are allowed to enter two divisions in Southern Level 3 and BullFrog tournaments with these guidelines:
1. Players selected to both age divisions they apply for will automatically be selected in the older age division. They would be removed from the other age division.
2. Players not selected to either division would remain on the alternates list for both divisions but would be obligated to play the division they first get in from the alternates list. They would be removed from the alternates list in the other division.
3. Players selected to one age division would be removed from the alternates list of the division they were not selected.
4. Once a player is selected for any one division, no changes can be made.
5. USTA BullFrog Designated events that are split (two sites) are considered as one event and therefore entering both is acceptable. Selection will be based on points 1-4 above.
PLEASE NOTE THIS (entering two divisions) IS FOR SOUTHERN LEVEL 3 AND BULLFROG TOURNAMENTS ONLY AND DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN ENTER MORE THAN ONE TOURNAMENT FOR THE SAME DATES.
ENTERING TWO TOURNAMENTS ON SAME DATES
A player shall not, when entries close, be entered in two or more sanctioned tournaments if any part of the tournaments overlap, unless each Tournament Committee involved, understands the situation and concurs in writing. Two suspension points for first violation and five for any violation thereafter..
SELECTION PROCESS FOR TEAM EVENTS
The selection of players for the National Team Championships and Intersectional Team Championships will be done by the Junior Competition Team Selection Subcommittee. Information considered will be National Standings, Southern Standings, player records, and player conduct throughout the year.
The selection of players for the Southern Junior Cup is done by the individual State.
One final word is most worthy for you to consider. Your conduct and deportment on and off the court should always be to the highest standards of good sportsmanship. Playing tournament tennis has many rewards but requires many sacrifices on your part and that of your parents. As your playing ability improves you develop a reputation among your peers, tournament officials, tennis administrators, parents, coaches and spectators. The vast majority of your matches will be played without umpires and that requires the players to call the lines. Be unfailingly fair to your opponent and follow the guidance of "The Code" in all situations. The USTA/Southern Section and its nine States are dedicated to insuring that all our player members are true sportsmen. Exhibit the best in sportsmanship on and off the court.
** Any of the previous information is subject to change per Junior Competition Committee Vote.
Waiver for Southern Events
Southern Waiver Rules and Regulations
Waivers are given on a HIGHLY selective basis. Decisions on waivers will be made by the Southern Junior Tennis Waiver Sub-Committee by a majority vote.
Waiver Rules and Regulations
1. A request for waiver must be made to the Southern office, to the attention of Sandy Hastings, USTA Southern Section, 5685 Spalding Drive, Norcross, GA 30092, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 770-368-9091. The request must be submitted by email, fax or letter, at least one week prior to the tournament entry deadline and be received at the Southern office no later than 2:00pm Eastern Time on that day.
2. The following information must be included on the request:
• Player Name as it appears in the Southern Jr. database.
• USTA Membership Number
• Age/Gender Division for which the waiver request is being submitted
• Tournament for which the waiver request is being submitted.
• Documentation and information to support the waiver request.(example: If an injury or illness is involved, the player must provide written documentation of disability signed by a physician and further attesting that the player will be physically capable of competing in the desired tournament.)